The Clifton Park Government Re-Thinking Energy & Environment Now, (G.R.E.E.N.) Committee has been assisting and advising the Town Board on energy and environmental impacts and issues since 2007. The committee meets quarterly to promote broad energy awareness and consumer education; advocating actions that residents can take to reduce the consumption of limited natural resources, both now and in the future.
The G.R.E.E.N. Committee has led efforts to improve energy efficiency in all town buildings. Energy efficient lighting and roof top solar panels have been installed, motion sensors have been added and other lighting equipment has been replaced. These measures are expected to save the town thousands of dollars over the next several years, based on an independent audit conducted by NYSERDA.
The committee recycling slogan; “It’s a Common Thing” on the generic green recycling symbol, first appeared on the Clifton Common recycling bins and is prominently displayed throughout the Town.
Click 2020-2021 GREEN Committee Meeting Schedule for a list of meeting dates and times.
The G.R.E.E.N. Committee sponsors:
- Town Paper Shredding Days, through a partnership with local vendor, 3N Document Destruction, personal documents can be safely disposed of and recycled, decreasing identity theft risks for free, twice annually.
- Earth Day – Free Tree Sapling Giveaways, held annually during the Shenendehowa Science & Discovery Night.
- Town Parks & Trails Clean Up Day - Every April. he Committee encourages residents, community groups, faith groups and local business to sign-up teams and individuals to clean and clear various public parks and trails to get ready for spring use. The Town provides collection bags and picks up debris collected from each site.
- The Committee initiated the partnership with Habitat for Humanity to place a collection point for nearly new items and building materials to be donated for the “ReStore” retail store program. For more information click on Clifton Park and ReStore Flyer
- The Committee alos encourages the public to find "New Life for Old Stuff" beyond just their furniture. For a resource list for donating and recycling in Clifton Park and the Capital Region click on New Life for Old Stuff in Clifton Park and Beyond
For an update on the G.R.E.E.N. Committee's pesticide project click on Pesticide Project Presentation
Please take a look at NYSERDA’s video of Clifton Park Resident and G.R.E.E.N. Committee member Joanne Coons, and how she has reduced her energy consumption and dependency on fossil fuels. The video can be found below.